We love living in the Pacific Northwest. Its rugged beauty, mountains, access to the coastal waters, and generally moderate climate makes it the perfect place for many people to put down roots. The seasons that we have in the Northwest are unique in that we get a little bit of everything. There are several weather and environmental factors that can impact your heating and cooling system once autumn begins. Here’s how to take care of it, no matter what type of weather we get.

Rain, rain, and more rain:
Oregon and Washington are no stranger to inches upon inches of rain each year. Rain becomes a part of our day to day life once the fall and winter season hits, so it’s important to know how to keep your heating and cooling system protected during those months of incessant rain. Sometimes we get flooding in our areas, so if there is over 15 inches of rain, it’s important that you turn off your entire HVAC system right away. This amount of water can damage the outdoor unit as well as electrical parts inside. Once the rain has receded, call our team at Hybrid Heating & Air Conditioning and we can offer advice on when you should turn it back on and if you have an issue with it because of water damage, our emergency service can help with that as well.

Windy days:
The Pacific Northwest oftentimes has storms roll in and with that brings plenty of wind. Heavier debris from tree branches can fall and damage the outside of your unit, but so can leaves, dirt and other debris. This smaller debris can build up around the inside components and cause a breakdown to occur. To help combat this issue, be sure to trim surrounding trees or branches and remove leaf piles or grass clippings right away.

Be sure to stay on top of preventative maintenance appointments for your HVAC system and clean or replace your air filters every other month. This will help keep your system running at its peak, all fall long!

Read More


 

Summer is here and it is time for you to crank up the air conditioning when the weather starts to warm up! You should always be aware of how to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning, but especially once you start using your cooling system more and more. Carbon monoxide is a gas that is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. It can be deadly to pets and humans.

Where does it leak from?
Carbon monoxide can come from a variety of sources including water heaters, boilers, gas appliances, and household furnaces. These leaks are hard to detect unless you have a working carbon monoxide detector and many times, you won’t know you have a leak until you start experiencing negative side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here’s how you can help protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tip #1: Stop leaks before they start.
One of the best ways you can stop carbon monoxide leaks is by having your HVAC system inspected and tuned-up on a regular basis, at least once a year. These appointments will allow our experienced service technicians the opportunity to make sure everything is working at peak efficiency and we’ll also be able to diagnose any potential problems that might happen including any cracks or broken parts that could cause a leak. We will find it and repair it before anything leaks or breakdowns occur. This will not only save you money, but it will keep you and your family safe throughout each season of the year.

Tip #2: Install a quality carbon monoxide detector.
Having a quality carbon monoxide detector with sensor technology will help detect and record carbon monoxide levels. Talk to us about which detectors we recommend. Many of them come with warranties for several years so you know you’re covered. Once you have a detector installed, test the alarms monthly and make sure the batteries are working well. If you ever hear an alert coming from the machine and you have already replaced batteries recently, get outside quickly and call for help. Don’t go back inside unless you’ve been cleared to do so, in case there is a leak.

Tip #3: Know the symptoms.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are dizziness, nausea, headaches, weakness, confusion, and chest pain. Prolonged exposure could cause a loss of consciousness. If you think you’re experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, get outside into fresh air right away and call 911 for medical attention.

Schedule an appointment for a tune-up and annual maintenance right away and if your home does not have a carbon monoxide alarm/detector, set up an installation appointment soon!

Read More