Summer is here and it is time for you to crank up the air conditioning when the weather starts to warm up! You should always be aware of how to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning, but especially once you start using your cooling system more and more. Carbon monoxide is a gas that is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. It can be deadly to pets and humans.

Where does it leak from?
Carbon monoxide can come from a variety of sources including water heaters, boilers, gas appliances, and household furnaces. These leaks are hard to detect unless you have a working carbon monoxide detector and many times, you won’t know you have a leak until you start experiencing negative side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here’s how you can help protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tip #1: Stop leaks before they start.
One of the best ways you can stop carbon monoxide leaks is by having your HVAC system inspected and tuned-up on a regular basis, at least once a year. These appointments will allow our experienced service technicians the opportunity to make sure everything is working at peak efficiency and we’ll also be able to diagnose any potential problems that might happen including any cracks or broken parts that could cause a leak. We will find it and repair it before anything leaks or breakdowns occur. This will not only save you money, but it will keep you and your family safe throughout each season of the year.

Tip #2: Install a quality carbon monoxide detector.
Having a quality carbon monoxide detector with sensor technology will help detect and record carbon monoxide levels. Talk to us about which detectors we recommend. Many of them come with warranties for several years so you know you’re covered. Once you have a detector installed, test the alarms monthly and make sure the batteries are working well. If you ever hear an alert coming from the machine and you have already replaced batteries recently, get outside quickly and call for help. Don’t go back inside unless you’ve been cleared to do so, in case there is a leak.

Tip #3: Know the symptoms.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are dizziness, nausea, headaches, weakness, confusion, and chest pain. Prolonged exposure could cause a loss of consciousness. If you think you’re experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, get outside into fresh air right away and call 911 for medical attention.

Schedule an appointment for a tune-up and annual maintenance right away and if your home does not have a carbon monoxide alarm/detector, set up an installation appointment soon!

Read More