Local weather experts are predicting that this month temperatures will drop more than they have all winter. That means you will be relying on your heating system even more than you might have already. Did you know that insulation in your home plays a big role in the overall comfort of your home and the overall effectiveness of your heating system? Here is how insulation affects your heating system.
Poor insulation or incomplete insulation will allow heat to escape through your roof and walls. If you notice that your rain is drying more quickly on different parts of your walls or roof, this could be a sign of poor or missing insulation in that area. When you think about how much it costs to heat your home during the winter, you don’t want that to be wasted. Insulation is a practical, easy way to reduce your energy bill and conserve energy, all while still staying comfortable. It will also help in the summertime when cool air needs to be kept inside and warm air needs to stay outside. The most important places to have quality insulation are:
- Attic: heat rises, and it will escape through your attic and roof. If you have insulation in your attic, you can save up to 30% in energy and will allow your heating system to not work as hard
- Wall: warm air will escape through windows and gaps around your doors and cold outdoor wind could also be pushed inside through those gaps
- Floor: Heat radiates through flooring and underfloor insulation will help reduce heat loss by trapping the warm air into the fiber
- Crawl space: The crawl space in your home may not be used much but if it’s not insulated well, the outdoors will try to make their way indoors. This could mean pests could get in and mold or mildew could form too. Insulation will not only keep your home warmer, but it will also help in keeping moisture at bay.
- Basement: Basements can be cold, but with insulation you can have a more comfortable, moisture-free area that saves energy.
Insulation is an affordable way to keep your home warmer this winter and cooler in the summer. The investment will pay off when you see your utility bills start decreasing. Perhaps you’ve done the insulation and you’re still seeing high energy bills. Our experienced team of professionals at Hybrid Heating and Air Conditioning can help! Routine preventative maintenance can help point out any issues and if you need a repair or replacement for your furnace, we can help with that too! Contact us today. There is nothing better than year-round comfort!