33as

Every year, there are thousands of emergency calls related to carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that cannot be detected by humans. The beginning of autumn is here and it’s a great time to make sure you’re up to speed on how to keep you and your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some helpful tips.

Tip #1: Have working carbon monoxide detectors.
Be sure that you have a working carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home. Before you buy one read the instructions where the mounting height is, and how long they are good for. We’re proud to carry the Carrier CoAlm that monitors CO levels every 15 seconds and comes with a seven year limited warranty. This unit can be plugged in on a low wall outlet and it reads at much lower levels than standard ones, as most manufacturers state to mount them at six feet or more. Once these are installed, check them once a month.

Tip #2: Don’t create additional carbon monoxide risks inside your house.
Operating a gas or charcoal grill inside your home is never a good idea – even in a garage, as they can give off high levels of carbon monoxide. In addition, be sure that your chimney or furnace are serviced each year, so you can be sure there is nothing out of order. If you use a generator, make sure they are used only in well-ventilated areas, away from windows, doors, and vents.

Tip #3: Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
It does not take much to feel the harmful effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Low to moderate carbon monoxide poisoning can cause fatigue, headache, shortness of breath, nausea, or dizziness. If you experience a high level of CO poisoning, you may experience vomiting, loss of coordination, mental confusion, or loss of consciousness. If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 immediately and get out of the area. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly, so take steps to protect you and your family right away.

656 View